Monday, July 09, 2012

My Bees are without a leader...

I started this year with two beehives.  I ordered 2 packages of Italian honey bees that have to this point been going strong. 
One hive is quite strong, I have a good queen and the population is robust.  These bees are putting away honey for the winter and have a regular population of workers.
The second hive is weak to say the least.  The hive swarmed a couple weeks ago and the queen that was raised doesn't seem to be laying any eggs.  This hive had issues from the beginning with a lot of drones being raised.  I have yet to check the hive into which the swarm was moved, but all indications are that the hive is healthy. 
As a matter of management, I need to functionally requeen the weak hive today.  I will find the non-laying queen and kill her.  Tomorrow, I will move several bars of eggs, brood, honey and bees from my strong hive into the weak hive hoping that the bees will raise one of the eggs into a queen who will then re-populate the hive.  I just hope that it is not too late.  A strong fall nectar flow may be required to save this hive, but time and good management are required to put the hive in a position to be successful.

No comments: