Friday, July 28, 2006

Cleveland Trip

I'm off to Cleveland in the AM to meet help my brother and sister-in-law and my new baby niece move back to the east coast. I could not be more excited about meeting my niece for the first time... sure, seeing my brother and sister-in-law will be nice, but my niece represents so much to me, and she's only a month old.
I showed my blog to a friend last night and she said, "Gosh, you're really cynical, you're totally not like that in person, why do you write that way?" Well, to be honest, I suppose I just don't play well with others. I have my life, I live in my world, I share my world with you. In my world there are not prejudices and everyone starts with a clean slate. The decisions and actions of those in my world which directly affect me will bias me and change my perception of the person taking the action or making the decision. I suppose that I'm cynical because I've projected a set of my own personal expectations onto people, their decisions, and their actions. People fail to meet these expectations because they are either unaware of them or don't share in those expectations.
I'm excited about meeting my niece this wekend, no matter what she does in her life, I'll love her. She has unlimited potential right now but no matter what course her life takes, she will always be my niece. Maybe I yearn for the innocence of childhood, maybe it's her newness but maybe because in my eyes she'll be forever incorruptable, I find the prospect of this new life, her present and future to be so full of hope that I will never grow cynical because of my relationship with her. Nothing she will do will curtain my love for her, and I find the concept of having such a pure relationship refreshing and revitalizing. Friends and aquaintenances come and go throughout life, but family is forever. My family is really my strength and tomorrow I get to meet the newest part of it!

A

No comments: