Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Is graduate education a good choice?

Immediately after college I worked at a major Pharma company for about 18 months. With my BS I was makign $37K a year. I had decided that I would go back to graduate school to get my PhD before I even started that job.
Now I am a post-doc. I am less appreciated by my boss, I make the same salary I made with a BS, have more responsibility and work much longer hours. I believe that my thought processes have been refined, but my world view is drastically skewed by my experience in graduate school.
I found the following infographic this AM that summarizes my experience fairly well. If you are considering graduate education, take a look at this and really think it over whether pursuit of a PhD is really what you want to do for the next 5-10 years.

The Long and Winding Road to a PhD
Via: Online PhD Programs

No comments: